Tuesday, December 1, 2015

HOLIDAY HAPPINESS: Book Review: The Vicious Deep


Title: The Vicious Deep
Author: Zoraida Cordova
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: May 1, 2012
Format Read: Hardback

Description from Goodreads: For Tristan Hart, everything changes with one crashing wave.

He was gone for three days. Sucked out to sea in a tidal wave and spit back ashore at Coney Island with no memory of what happened. Now his dreams are haunted by a terrifying silver mermaid with razor-sharp teeth.

His best friend Layla is convinced something is wrong. But how can he explain he can sense emotion like never before? How can he explain he's heir to a kingdom he never knew existed? That he's suddenly a pawn in a battle as ancient as the gods?

Something happened to him in those three days. He was claimed by the sea... and now it wants him back.


I picked up this book way back in 2012, started it, and then put it down. I was going to give it away, but when I rediscovered it on my shelves this year, I decided to give it a second chance. By the time I finished, I wished I'd given it away.

In 2012, my only complaint about this book was a single seen within the first five chapters that was a little bit too much for me on the inappropriate scale. Now, my complaints have piled up: even for a fantasy, the probability of this one was low; the dialogue left something to be desired; the storyline was full of plot holes; and it was extremely predictable. I had a hard time relating to the characters, who stumbled through the story and felt very distant from me, the reader. 

One star for VICIOUS DEEP. For me, the story just wasn't real enough. It didn't pull me in like the waves pulled Tristan. I didn't fall in love with the characters or a piece of the story that would keep me reading and make me want to stick around for the other two books. Unfortunately, I don't recommend it to anyone for this reason

(Un)Happily,
Stephanie 

No comments:

Post a Comment