Thursday, December 10, 2015

Book Review: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews


Title: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
Author: Jesse Andrews
Publisher: Amulet Books
Release Date: March 1, 2012
Format Read: Paperback, Movie tie-in Edition

Description from Goodreads: Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics.

Until Greg's mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel.

Rachel has been diagnosed with leukemia-- cue extreme adolescent awkwardness-- but a parental mandate has been issued and must be obeyed. When Rachel stops treatment, Greg and Earl decide the thing to do is to make a film for her, which turns into the Worst Film Ever Made and becomes a turning point in each of their lives. 

And all at once, Greg must abandon invisibility and stand in the spotlight.



ME AND EARL was all the hype this year as the movie came to the big screen, and since one of my good friends read and loved it, I decided that I should probably give it a try, especially since I have a rule about not watching a movie before reading the book. So I did, I read the book, and finished very confused and displeased.

The way this book was written was interesting, but for me it was overrun by the crude humor. That, added to the fact that it didn't really feel like this book had an ending, made for... an odd experience. It felt like the author had been in the middle of writing the climax, got bored, and ended the story in a single chapter instead of sticking it out. 

While I started this book with an open mind, I ended it feeling like I'd wasted those hours it took me to read the novel. I would give ME AND EARL AND THE DYING GIRL a single star, and sadly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

What did you think of this one?

(Un)Happily,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment