Monday, November 23, 2015

Series Review: The Selection (Books 1-3) By Kiera Cass


There are a few times when I've started a series and been so enraptured in it that I've read the books back to back to back, and when I've sat down to review them, I ended up not doing so. Here's the reason for that: If I've binged a series, sometimes it's hard for me to remember which details happened in which books, and I would rather not review the books than rick spoiling them for you. 

But guys.

I loved The Selection series so much.

And I know like one person who has read it, so I need more Selectioners to spazz with. 

That being said, I'm gong to do a series review for the first three books, and when THE CROWN comes out, I'll do a series review for THE HEIR, THE CROWN, and HAPPILY EVER AFTER. 

After this, you may find me doing Series Reviews for other binged series.. who knows?







Author: Kiera Cass

Titles:
THE SELECTION (The Selection #1)
THE PRINCE (Novella, The Selection #0.5)
THE ELITE (The Selection #2)
THE GUARD (Novella, The Selection #2.5)
THE ONE (The Selection #4)

Publisher: HarperTeen

Release Dates: 
THE SELECTION- 4/24/12
THE PRINCE - 3/5/13*
THE ELITE- 4/23/13
THE GUARD - 2/4/14*
THE ONE- 4/6/14

*Novellas released as a paperback bind-up 2/4/14

Formats Read: Hardbacks and paperback bind-up


Description from Goodreads for THE SELECTION: For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself-- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.



Description from Goodreads for THE PRINCE: Before Thirty-five girls were chosen to compete in the Selection...

Before Aspen broke America's heart...

There was another girl in Maxon's life...

Don't miss the thrilling 64-page original novella set in the world of the New York Times bestselling novel THE SELECTION. Also features a teaser to THE ELITE, Kiera Cass's hotly anticipated sequel to THE SELECTION.



Description from Goodreads for THE ELITE: The Selection began with thirty-five girls.

Now with the group narrowed down to six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever-- and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Macon, who could make her life a fairy tale? or with her first love, Aspen?

America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elite know exactly what they want-- and America's chance to choose is about to slip away.



Description from Goodreads for THE GUARD: Before America Singer met Prince Maxon...

Before she entered the Selection...

She was in love with a boy named Aspen Leger.

Don't miss this digital original novella set in the captivating world of Kiera Cass's #1 New York Times bestselling Selection Trilogy. This brand new 64-page story begins just after the group of Selected girls is narrowed down tot he Elite and is told from Aspen's point of view. THE GUARD also features a teaser from THE ONE, the thrilling conclusion to The Selection Trilogy.



Description from Goodreads for THE ONE: The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown-- or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose-- and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants. 



Let me start off by saying that I had heard about these books for quite a while before I read them. I'd heard some really fantastic things, but I stayed away from them because (*sigh* such a stupid reason) they had fancy dresses on the covers. Sad, but true. I am not a girly-girl, and you have to force me into a dress. I go down swinging. So I stayed away from The Selection series, until I met Kiera Cass on her tour for THE ONE, and bought the trilogy. It still took me a while to read them, but I did, right before THE HEIR came out, and I totally should have read them sooner.

THESE BOOKS ARE FAN-FLIPPING-TASTIC. DID YOU KNOW?

I mean, this whole concept of a Selection is gorgeous. I don't like the Bachelor, which was another reason I had stayed away from these books, as I was told they were like the Bachelor but with a prince, but it works in this world. It works beautifully and I ship America and Maxon so hard you guys don't even know.

A certain blogger friend of mine will also tell you that I ship myself with Maxon pretty hard, but I mean come on. It's Maxon. He's perfect. And I want him. *Heart eyes*

Anyway, the entirety of these books were lovely-- the dystopian society that America lives in is so interesting with the way the castes are set up, the Selection process from beginning to end so well thought-out, both boys being just good enough to drive you crazy when she isn't sure who to pick, the friendship between America and Marlee, and, of course, the ending. Which was just perfect.

The Selection series has easily climbed it's way to the tip-top of my favorites list, and I am not ashamed of the feels and emotions that get me just by talking about the books. They are masterpieces and they need to be loved by everyone. 

They hold a special place in my heart, and I cannot say enough good things about them. Now to get the rest of my friends to read the books so I can freak out with them...

WHERE ARE MY FELLOW SELECTIONERS?!

Happily,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment