Tuesday, November 10, 2015

HOLIDAY HAPPINESS: Book Review: Everything, Everything


Title: Everything, Everything
Author: Nicola Yoon
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Release Date: September 1, 2015
Format Read: Hardback (FC)

Description from Goodreads: My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I'm allergic to the world. I don't leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He's tall, lean and wearing all black-- black tshirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can't predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It's almost certainly going to be a disaster.



I picked up EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING because I was heading to Anderson's YA Literature Conference and Nicola Yoon was going to be there. I hadn't heard anything about it, but I started it three days before Lit Con, and finished it the next day. It was such a beautiful, delicate story, about first love and bravery and what it means to truly live life.

Going into this book, I had no expectations; I came out of it with a love and appreciation for Nicola and a better appreciation of the world I live in. There are so many things you don't think about and take for granted in today's society-- simple things, simple firsts, simple loves-- and thanks to EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING, I have been reminded of those things, and I am better for it.

I am most excited to see what comes next from this brilliant new voice in YA contemporary, and I encourage each and every one of you to go out and pick up a copy of EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING if you haven't already. It's one of the most gorgeous books I've ever read (Inside and out) and it now holds a super special place in my heart. Five glittering, golden, bursting, shooting stars for Nicola Yoon and EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING.

Happily, 
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment