Thursday, November 12, 2015

Book Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins


Title: Lola and the Boy Next Door
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Publisher: Dutton Books
Release Date: September 29, 2011
Format Read: Paperback

Description from Goodreads: Lola Nolan is a budding costume designer, and for her, the most outrageous, sparkly, and fun the outfit, the better. And everything is pretty perfect in her life (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood. When Cricket, a gifted inventor, steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.



After reading ANNA, I immediately went to get LOLA. I didn't care for this one quite as much, and my expectations were high after ANNA. For me, this one just wasn't as good as I was hoping for. 

     What I did love about this book, is that it tied in with ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS. Anna and St. Clair both make appearances multiple times throughout the story.

     What I didn't love about it, was how immature Lola was. She tended to be very childish, and I didn't like how she felt as if she had to wear a costume instead of being who she really was. Also Lola's parents were gay men, and I didn't know that going into the story. If I had, I probably wouldn't have read the book, due to the fact that I am a Christian first and foremost.

     I give LOLA three stars. The crushee was super great, and most of the plot was pretty good, but Lola just was not a character I could really love. 

Happily,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment