Thursday, November 26, 2015

HOLIDAY HAPPINESS: Book Review: Welcome to the Dark House by Laurie Faria Stolarz


Title: Welcome to the Dark House (Dark House #1)
Author: Laurie Faria Stolarz
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Release Date: July 22, 2014
Format Read: ARC

Description from Goodreads: What's your worst nightmare?

For Ivy Jensen, it's the eyes of a killer that haunt her nights. For Parker Bradley, it's bloodthirsty sea serpents that slither in his dreams.

And for seven essay contestants, it's their worst nightmares that win them an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at director Justin Blake's latest, confidential project. Ivy doesn't even link scary movies, but she's ready to face her real-world fears. Parker's sympathetic words and perfect smile help keep her spirits up... at least for now.

Not everyone is so charming, though. Horror-film fanatic Garth Vader wants to stir up trouble. It's bad enough he has to stay in the middle of nowhere with this group-- the girl who locks herself in her room; the know-it-all roommate; "Mister Sensitive"; and the one who's too cheery for her own good. Someone has to make things interesting.

Except, things are already a little weird. The hostess is a serial-killer look-alike, the dream-stealing Nightmare Elf is lurking about, and the seventh member of the group is missing.

By the time Ivy and Parker realize what's really at stake, it's too late to wake up and run.


I generally can't handle horror, but after reading SHUTTER and loving it, I decided to try another YA horror. I'd seen WELCOME TO THE DARK HOUSE a few times before at the store, and I had been tempted to grab it, but I never did. So thanks to #booksfortrade, I was able to acquire an ARC and read it in a single day. 

WELCOME TO THE DARK HOUSE wasn't so much scary as it was downright creepy. I enjoyed the plot to this one, especially as the story went on and things started developing and getting juicier. The multiple POVs from the essay contestants were perfect, giving an inside look to each of them and the way they think, the way they viewed the Dark House. And then there's the Nightmare Elf , which... just... *heebie jeebies*. As of the end of this book, I'm still not sure whether my prediction about who's behind everything is right or not, but I hope to find out.

I give WELCOME TO THE DARK HOUSE a 3.75 star rating. It was good enough to make me want to read book two, but it wasn't as scary as I was hoping for. If you're a fan of creepy YA, and YA horror, this is for you. Dark, mysterious, and chilling, WELCOME TO THE DARK HOUSE is a red I'll be recommending.

Book two, here I come.

Happily,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment