Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Tuesday (Series) Review: The Selection (Books 4 & 5)



In November of last year, I binged the first three books in The Selection Series, and because I'd read them one right after the other and conquered them within a week, I did a Series Review. Now that the last book has come out, I think it's about time to post a second Series Review-- this time, for books four and five.

If you haven't read the first three books in the series (THE SELECTION, THE ELITE, THE ONE) then I need to stop you right here. Because as much as I'd like for you to read this post, it will completely spoil you for the series. And this is definitely one that I want you to read. 

So, just for now, disregard this post. 

Bookmark it, favorite it, make it a shortcut on your desktop so you'll have it once you DO read the books, but for right now, please go read something else. 


Are you gone yet?

Did you go?

You clicked my link, right?

Right?

.
...
.....
.......
.....
...
.....
.......
.....
...
.

Okay, I think we're safe now.

If you're still here... HELLO YOU WONDERFUL SELECTIONER YOU!

I am now going to continue with my reviews. Please stick around.




Author: Kiera Cass

Titles:
THE HEIR (The Selection Series #4)
THE CROWN (The Selection Series #5)

Publisher: HarperTeen

Release Dates:
THE HEIR- 5/5/15
THE CROWN- 5/3/16

Formats Read: Hardbacks

Ratings:
THE HEIR- 3.75 stars
THE CROWN- 4.5 stars

Description from Goodreads for THE HEIR: Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon-- and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection- no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, on entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her... and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.




Description from Goodreads for THE CROWN: When Eadlyn became the first princess of Illea to hold her own Selection, she didn't think she would fall in love with any of her thirty-five suitors. She spent the first few weeks of the competition counting down the days until she could send them all home. But as events at the palace force Eadlyn even further into the spotlight, she realizes that she might not be content remaining alone.

Eadlyn still isn't sure she'll find the fairytale ending her parents did twenty years ago. But sometimes the heart has a way of surprising you... and soon Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more impossible-- and more important-- than she ever imagined.



Going into THE HEIR, I didn't realize that the book was going to be about America's daughter. As much as the idea intrigued me, I wanted more Maxmerica! MOOOORE. But, in a teensy way, I got it. Because of course, Eadlyn's story would not be complete without her parents. 

My first impression of Eadlyn... she's brutal. I know a lot of people disliked her, but I didn't feel that way. Yeah, she's harsh. Cold Cut-off, and distanced. But wouldn't you be that way too, if your entire world was constantly plastered on the media? If you always got what you wanted? If you'd been doing nothing but learning to run the country since you learned to read? Because that's exactly the situation Eady was in, and I felt for her. It would SUCK to live like that. Sure, she's a spoiled brat most of the time, but it's not like she can help it that she was brought up living in a palace where everyone waited on her, hand and foot.

In fact, I rather liked Eadlyn. I feel like I'd be just like her if I were in her situation. I sympathized with her so much throughout her books, and I was actually pretty shocked by how much hate she got. What, do people think that being a princess comes with zero responsibility? Wear pretty clothes, get your face on the tv, sit around eating bon bons all day? Come on, guys.

And then, to be forced into having a Selection when you'd specifically been told that there would never be another? I think Eadlyn has a right to be quite a bit frustrated with that. She's being forced to do something that she's always been 100% against, and with little to no warning. 

So then the Selection starts, and she has all of these great guys, and of course she starts sending them away ASAP. My immediate favorites were Kile (Because that best friend vibe), Hale (Something every day), Henri (Hi today!) and, though maybe he wasn't actually IN the Selection, I loved Eric. 

If it had been me, I'd have chosen Kile. WOODWORKS PLUS SCHREAVES? Y. E. S.

And I loved how each of them reacted to the people hating on Eadlyn (the parade). And I loved the fight in the kitche. And I really did enjoy the book. But I feel like it was too short. Two books in general felt short for a Selection. 

Until I got to book five.

And book five blew book four out of the freaking water.

**SPOILER ALERT**



ALL MY GUYS WERE ELITE!

ALL OF THEM!



**END SPOILER ALERT**

And I just want to say, I totally called the ending. Boy and everything. 

But I loved watching it play out, and I loved watching Eady's relationships with each of the boys develop and sweeten and become so tight.

I loved every single thing about this book, down to the details. Which is why I'm not going to spend much time on it, because all you need to know is that it was beautiful and I loved everything and you definitely need to read it.

And I'm going to tell you that out of all of the chapters in these two books, the last three were my favorite.

And out of all the scenes in the last two books, (This is not spoilery, I made sure.) my favorite was the last major scene in the book with Kile. I was bawling like a baby and it was a glorious scene and I think I died a little bit inside but I loved it more than words can say.

So, yeah. I absolutely adored these last two Eady books. This series is an extraordinary thing, and I hope you got to experience it as I did.

Happily,
Stephanie

3 comments: