Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Book Review: Happily Ever After by Kiera Cass


Title: Happily Ever After (The Selection Series #0.4, 0.5, 2.5, 2.6)
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: October 15, 2015
Format Read: Hardback

Description from Goodreads: The contents of HAPPILY EVER AFTER are as follows:

-The Prince (With two bonus chapters), Maxon's novella
-The Guard, Aspen's Novella
-The Favorite, Marlee's novella
-Three scenes from Celeste's POV
-Lucy's scene (bonus scene from THE ONE)
-The bonus epilogue
-Where are they now?
-A map
-Various illustrations


I realize that in last Friday's post, I said I was going to start HAPPILY EVER AFTER when I finished my TBR stack, but... I couldn't wait. I picked it up Friday night and now here we are.

Having already read THE PRINCE and THE GUARD, I wasn't sure going into it if I'd reread them or not, but then I read the first story in the bind-up, THE QUEEN, and absolutely had to read THE PRINCE. If you know me, you know that I am a complete Maxon girl, and I still have qualms with Aspen, so I did skip over THE GUARD, but then I found myself entering Marlee's head with THE FAVORITE. 

After knowing what happens with her in the series, I always thought it would be interesting to see things from her point of view. I wanted to see true love and sacrifice according to Lady Marlee, and this novella did not disappoint. I have so much more appreciation for Marlee now that I did before, and I adored her even then, but now it's a very different respect that I have for her.

The scenes from Celeste's pov were odd for me, feelings wise. Throughout THE SELECTION and THE ELITE, I hated Celeste with a passion. I wanted her out of that castle and I wanted to never hear of her again. And then... I started to love her in THE ONE. Her last scene in the book actually brought me to tears, and no one was more shocked than I. Reading from Celeste's point of view showed me the old reasons why I disliked her, and reminded me of why I changed my mind all over again.

And LUCY. I know that a majority of Selectioners love Lucy as I do, and I was over the moon to have a scene from her. Even the single chapter gave so much insight to Lucy as a person, not just as a shy, timid maid.

The rest of the bonus content was beautifully done and perfect, but not stories as much as information.

Five stars, of course, for HAPPILY EVER AFTER. I'm so glad I was able to get this one for Christmas so that I could dive back into the world of THE SELECTION. If you enjoy romance and princes and seeing how everything isn't as perfect on the inside as it seems on the outside, then this series is for you.

And now...

We wait for May.

Happily,
Stephanie


No comments:

Post a Comment