Thursday, May 1, 2014

Book Review: Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

     I received an ARC of Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige, and started in on it with fervance. It's one of the most highly anticipated YA books of the year, so I knew it would be good. But to my surprise, I wasn't a big fan. 
     Dorothy Must Die is a retelling based in the land of Oz, but it's not all happiness and ruby red slippers. When a tornado rips Amy Gumm from her trailer park home, she doesn't quite know what's going on. Just like Dorothy, Amy chooses to "Follow the Yellow Brick Road" And when she does, she finds out that Oz has changed. A lot. The towns are all destroyed and the land is dying, and as Amy becomes friends with two odd characters, she learns that Dorothy never left Oz, and, even worse she's the one killing the place. It's been decided- Dorothy must die- and someone has to do it, so why not Amy?
     Giving you a whole new outlook on the original Wizard of Oz story we all love and know, Paige paints this world perfectly.
     I think that the reason I didn't love this book was just that it's a retelling. It changed my previous thoughts and feelings about Oz, and made them darker. That being said, I gave the book a two of five star rating, but hey, this just wasn't the book for me! It may be JUST the book for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment