Friday, March 28, 2014

Book Review: Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott

   So I read this book. I was not sorry. It reminded me of Pokemon... and The Hunger Games... TOGETHER.
     Tella's brother is sick. Scratch that, he's dying, and everyone knows it. The family of four moved away from their Boston brownstone and into the Montana country, hoping the fresh air would do him some good. But it didn't, and there's nothing they can do to help him. It's boring out there in the middle of no where, and Tella misses her plush city life, until she finds a little blue box on her bed. It holds an ear piece, and the earpiece tell her that she has been invited to participate in the Brimstone Bleed, a race across jungle, desert, sea, and mountainous terrain, that results in one winner. And that one winner will receive the cure to any disease they wish. At first, Tella thinks its a joke- a prank being pulled on her by her brother, but when she finds out that this competition is for real, she knows she has to go. She has to win. She has to save her brother.
     There are creatures in this book called Pandoras, who are made to help the Contenders of the Brimstone Bleed win. One per person. And the little things just reminded me so much of Pokemon (Which I adore) and I wanted one. I want my own Pandora, Victoria Scott. About halfway through the story, I realized that the book was going to end in the middle of the race, and I mean... Cliffhangers and I have a love hate relationship.

     On one hand, the cliffhangers make me more interested in the next book, make me need it more, make me crave it.

     On the other hand, I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS YOU CRAZY AUTHORS HOW DARE YOU END THE BOOK LIKE THAT

     But I was quite pleased with the way it ended, even if Fire and Flood doesn't finish the entire race in the first book. That being said, I really really really really need book two. Please.

    This book was extremely fast paced- some might even think it was TOO fast paced- but I was actually very pleased with the pace. There was no point in the book where I could say "Come on, some on, nothing is happening, it's boring." Which I liked. The characters were constantly surprising me with their words and actions, and Guy... I still cannot get a good read on him. Most of the twists and turns were things I expected, but there were a few that caught me and I thought "Oh, you got me good on that one!"

     I really enjoyed this book. If you like adventure and dystopia books, you definitely need to read this. Also, it was CLEAN. I mean, the pages were practically squeaking. There were a couple comments, and a couple scenes that weren't completely innocent, but compared to most YA Books, I'm pleased that there were no sex scenes in the book. I give it a 4/5 stars, and I hope you guys check this one out!


No comments:

Post a Comment