Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Tuesday Reviews: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling


Title: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1)
Author: J.K. Rowling
Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books
Release Date: June 26, 1997
Rating: Four Stars

Description from Goodreads: Harry Potter's life is miserable. his parents are dead and he's stuck with his heartless relatives, who force him to live in a tiny closet under the stairs. But his fortune changes when he receives a letter that tells him the truth about himself: he's a wizard. A mysterious visitor rescues him from his relatives and takes him to his new home, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

After a lifetime of bottling up his magical powers, Harry finally feels like a normal kid. But even within the Wizarding community, he is special. he is the boy who lived: the one person to have ever survived a killing curse inflicted by the evil Lord Voldemort, who launched a brutal takeover of the Wizarding world, only to vanish after failing to kill Harry.

Though Harry's first year at Hogwarts is the best of his life, not everything is perfect. There is a dangerous secret object hidden within the castle walls, and Harry believes it's his responsibility to prevent it from falling into evil hands. But doing so will bring him into contact with forces more terrifying than he ever could have imagined.

Full of sympathetic characters, wildly imaginative situations, and countless exciting details, the first installment of a series assembles an unforgettable magical world and sets the stage for many high-stakes adventures to come.

As crazy as it may seem to some of you, I've never read the Harry Potter books. Okay, actually, I take that back-- I've read Deathly Hallows.

Don't come after me with a pitchfork, I know I shouldn't have done it, but in my defense I was like 13 and I watched Deathly Hallows pt 2 in the theaters and couldn't wait a year to find out what happens. So, logically, I read Deathly Hallows.

That was years ago, and now I've finally got all the books in my possession and on my new and gorgeous shelves, so I picked up Sorcerer's Stone and got to it.

I used to hear people talk about how the first movie is so much like the book, and the second one is as well, and they don't start changing from the book much until PoA, and guys... reading the book was like watching the movie, except Peeves. They were SO CLOSE. I was really proud. 

Why can't we get adaptions of other books to be like that?

That said, there's really not a lot for me to review because you all know I have a huge Harry Potter obsession and have seen the movies about 4 billion times.

Anyway, I did LOVE the book. It was amazing to experience the writing of Jo firsthand instead of the snippets I got from the social worlds.

I don't even care who you are, you should read Harry Potter. And if you're one of the people who says Harry Potter shouldn't be allowed because they're withcraft books, hit me up. I'm a Christian too, but let me tell you why you're wrong.

Happily,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment