Thursday, March 24, 2016

Thursday Thinks: Goodreads Reading Challenge


I don't generally set goals for how many books per year I want to read, for no reason other than I never felt that it was necessary. I don't want to read for the sake of meeting a goal, I want to read for the sake of reading. Because in the end, if you're only reading to tally it up, you're not reading for the reason books are intended for-- to be enjoyed.

I do keep a reading journal, though. I keep track of what books I read, in what months, and then at the end of the year, for fun, I add them up.

In 2014, I read 71 books.

In 2015, I read 58.

I didn't like that drastic gap between the two, and was pretty shocked at how low of a number I read in 2015, so when I kept getting notifications for the Goodreads Reading Challenge and could see all of the people setting their own goals, I decided to give it a shot. After figuring out exactly how it worked (I'm not good with computers, you guys. You have no idea.) I set my goal to 100 books-- 100 books to read in 2016. And while I'm hoping I read more than that, it'll be my base line.

As of right now, I'm at 19/100-- technically three books behind schedule, but I'm happy with it. I've been a busy bee with my reading, and I'm proud to say that I'm not reading for the numbers, though there is a bit of pride when I watch that number change each time I add a book to my "READ" shelf. Something that helps, though, is the fact that my current TBR is a stack of books I need to have read for an event in April.

So yeah, that's where I'm at right now in terms of my Reading Challenge. You can start your own challenge and keep track of the books you read this year by clicking this link and logging in. hover over your profile icon, and select My Reading Challenge from the drop-down menu. After that, have at it. And start reading.

If you'd like to watch my progress throughout the year, feel free to add me! Let's be friends, and I'll watch your progress, too.

Happily,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment