Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Book Review: Fallout by S.A. Bodeen


     Oh how I've waited for this book. I read Compound years and years ago; ranted and raved about it to my friends and family, read it again for book discussion in school with two of my closest friends. I'm happy to say that neither of them were very fond of reading, but after reading the Compound, one of them found their love of reading. The other... well... I'm still working on him! For that same discussion, my mom had to read the book and lead the talk. She liked the story, but it made her angry that a parent would do such a thing to his family. When I was at Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago, I saw Fallout on the shelf, newly placed, and snatched it up.
     After a grueling, six year wait, I finished Fallout in five hours. 
     Eli Yanakakis just wants life to go back to normal. But of course, things will never be normal for his family- thanks to his dad. On his ninth birthday, Eli's dad, Rex, staged an apocalypse and locked his family in an underground hideout called the Compound. After discovering that the world was just as they'd left it, Eli helped his family escape the Compound- and escape their father. Compound left off with a bit of foreshadowing that maybe Rex didn't die in the explosion that destroyed the Compound, as the Yanakakis had expected, and Fallout is all about the family's readjusting to the real world. They have to stay out of the eye of the public, as press are always trying to get any information they can about "The family who lived underground", and it's not easy being cooped up in a mansion after having been cooped up in the Compound. 
     Things start getting interesting for Eli when he notices that they're being followed, and that there are posts all over social media about people who have supposedly seen the Yanakakis out and about. As Eli tries to figure out who it is that's been following them, and just what they want, his adoptive sister, Lexie decides she wants to find her birth parents, and his twin makes a new friend and decides to blow the family's secret and let the boy know about the family's true identity.
     Most of the action is saved until the last fifteen-or-so chapters, which I will not reveal anything about so as not to spoil it for you. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mystery, suspense, and books about doomsday. Also to those who have read the Compound, because Fallout gives you the closure that you need about the first book.
     I did enjoy the sequel, though it didn't engulf me as much as some of my other books. I attribute that, though, to the fact that most of the books I read are much thicker with more books in a series and a much more complex plot line. Also there was only a slight hint of romance in this novel. That being said, I enjoyed Fallout, but not as much as I loved the Compound.
     Finish the Compound adventure with Eli, Eddy, Lexie, and the rest of the Yanakakis- you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment